Javelin PDF Readers - for PCs, Macs, Android devices and iOS devices - Download information
Javelin PDF readers provide all the core functionality needed for viewing standard PDF files and PDF files encrypted using our free Drumlin Publisher software (.drmz and .drmx files). These readers support internal and external hyperlinks, contents/navigation trees, a range of page display formats, plus document text searching, annotation and markup. Encrypted files are protected against content copying and onwards distribution. They may also have restrictions applied such as whether printing is permitted and whether they expire at some point and can no longer be viewed. The Properties and/or Info facility in the Javelin readers provides details of these Digital Rights Management (DRM) settings.
Select the Javelin reader you require for your Operating System/Device - for most Mac, iOS and Android devices simply use of the AppStore facility on your device to install the free Javelin reader. For direct downloads and some Operating System variants please use the links below. If you have any problems or questions please see fuller details further down this page.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you wish to use Javelin on a PC or Mac connected to a large corporate network please see the advice at the foot of this page
|Operating System||Download Links||Release version||Notes|
|MS Windows - Current Release|
|Windows 7,8,10||Javelin3Pro PDF reader||188.8.131.52||Professional edition - registration required - recommended for Corporate use where users are connected to secure corporate networks with proxy servers and firewalls|
|Windows 7,8,10||Javelin3 PDF reader||184.108.40.206||Standard edition - no registration required but some advanced features not avalable in this edition|
|Apple OSX||Release version|
|OSX 10.12.4 and later Downloadable DMG version||Javelin3 PDF reader||3.0.1||DMG file, If necessary hold CTRL key down when opening - note: new version for OSX 10.12.4+ ONLY|
|OSX 10.7-10.12.3 Downloadable DMG version||Javelinm PDF reader||1.01.05||DMG file, If necessary hold CTRL key down when opening - note: with OSX 10.12.4 Apple introduced a change which MAY result in highlighting being lost for some users|
|Apple OSX - older OSX versions||Release version|
|OSX 10.7-10.12.3 AppStore version||Install free from Mac AppStore - search for Javelinm or Javelin reader||1.01.00||Not for current versions of OSX: Select the AppStore facility on your Mac and search for JavelinM or Javelin reader.|
|OSX 10.6||Javelin PDF reader||1.00.047||DMG file, If necessary hold CTRL key down when opening|
|4.0 or later||Install free from Google Play AppStore||1.01.05||Select the AppStore facility on your Android device and search for Javelin Reader|
|4.0 or later/Kindle Fire||Javelin PDF reader||1.00.54||Download page for APK file|
|Apple iOS||Release version|
|6.0 or later||Install free from iPAD/iPhone AppStore||2.03.00||Select the AppStore facility on your iOS device and search for Javelin Reader|
Javelin and JavelinPro for Windows (Previous versions - Version 2 releases)
All our Windows software products are digitally signed (with a Globalsign certificate) and have been checked to ensure they are virus free. Norton Antivirus users - if your antivirus software will not accept a download from us or deletes it/places it in quarantine, we are certain that this is a false positive. Please report this to Symantec as an error. To resolve this please either turn off the offending behaviour in Norton's software (Insight and/or SONAR) or recover the quarantined file from within Norton Antivirus, or use another antivirus product like AVG!
- JavelinPro version 2 for MS Windows (JWPro) - Win 7 and later JavelinPro v2 PDF readerv2.034 - Corporate/Pro edition users - download and run javelinprosetup.exe (Windows RT and full touch screen usage is not supported). JWPro is functionally the same as JW but includes user registration and license-based document enabling in addition to online authorization code-based permissioning
- Javelin version 2 for MS Windows Standard edition, no registrationJavelin v2 PDF readerv2.034
- Javelin for MS Windows (JW) - XP and earlierDOWNLOAD - download and run javelinsetup-xp.exe (Windows RT and full touch screen usage is not supported)
Javelin for Android (including Kindle Fire and shortly, Chromebooks - see Google Chromium for release dates)
- Javelin for Android OS 4 and later is available as a Free App on the Google Play App Store. For direct installation of the previous version (1.00.054) for Kindle Fire etc. please click here
Javelin for iOS (iPAD and iPhone)
- Javelin for Apple iPAD and iPhone is available as a free app from the iTunes App Store - on the iPAD/iPhone use the App Store facility and search for "Javelin reader" and download
More Details and Important Notes for Users with Network Access problems
Our Javelin PDF readers for desktops, laptops and mobile devices are very fast, small, secure and fully-functional PDF readers. To download the free Javelin PDF reader simply click on the link provided below for your computer or mobile device. The Windows version is provided as an installation program - run this by double-clicking the file, ignore any warning messages, and follow the on-screen instructions. When finished Javelin will be available ready for use, and a link to Javelin will be added to your Desktop for future use. Release notes for Windows and Mac versions are provided on the Release notes page
Having downloaded the Javelin reader for PC or Mac, simply run Javelin and select the File menu, Open option, to open and read a standard PDF file or a secured PDF file (a DRMZ or DRMX file). DRMZ and DRMX files will prompt you for an authorization code - copy the code you have been sent by email and paste it into the field. Press OK and wait for this to be checked over the internet. The file will then be displayed. You only need to do this the first time you access the file. For mobile devices (iPADs/iPhones, Android devices) see below for details. Sample files for testing the process with a PC or Mac are provided here. Mobile versions of Javelin include test files built-in to the app.
All our software products have been checked to ensure they are virus free. Norton Antivirus users - if your antivirus software will not accept a download from us or deletes it/places it in quarantine, we are certain that this is a false positive. Please report this to Symantec as an error. To resolve this please either turn off the offending behaviour in Norton's software (Insight and/or SONAR) or recover the quarantined file from within Norton Antivirus, or use another antivirus product like AVG!
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you wish to use Javelin on a PC or Mac connected to a large corporate network and you get a Proxy server/internet connection required error then please check the following notes and if necessary, pleaseemail usfor assistance. As a first option try using the Proxy server support in Javelin and Javelin3 (see the File menu for details). Then if setting the appropriate proxy server details does not work for your particular network, then try the following:
- we recommend that the following links are added to your corporate proxy server list in order to enable access to our DRM web service: https://www.drumlinsecurity.co.uk/Service.asmx and http://www.drumlinsecurity.co.uk/Service.asmx - a simple way of checking access is to test asample file (e.g. testfonts.drmz) to see if this procedure is OK
- for one off usage consider authorizing the file on a mobile device or laptop off site, where the corporate network restrictions do not apply
- The Corporate/Pro edition of Javelin (JavelinPro) does not require access to this facility so please ask us about this service if you are unsure