What is Drumlin PDF Security?
The Drumlin PDF Security system is comprised of several elements, as summarized below:
- Drumlin PDF reader: just like the PDF readers from Adobe and Foxit, but with additional functionality to handle secured PDF files - this is provided free of charge
- Drumlin PDF publisher, which converts existing PDF files into a very secure format - this is also provided free of charge and is included as a function in the main Drumlin PDF reader. For demos on publishing with Drumlin please clickhere
- Drumlin Digital Rights Management (DRM) service - this provides the central document authorization facilities. It is based on a Microsoft Windows ASP/.NET platform and uses an SQLServer database
- OurJavelinPDF readers for Windows, Mac OSX, Android and iPAD, provides the perfect delivery mechanism for the secured PDFs, enabling users to authorize and read the secured files with minimal technical know-how. Javelin readers are very small and have no substantive system dependencies, so require minimal installation.
The great advantage of using PDF files secured with Drumlin is that they enable you to set the dates you want to allow the file to be read from and to, how often the recipient can view them and whether they can print them (and if so, how many times/pages may be printed). And you can be confident that documents cannot be copied. Furthermore, using the option to create locked files, they can only be read by people you provide authorization to, and cannot be copied to another machine or individual. We currently have customers using Drumlin to secure 1000s of documents distributed to users throughout the World. Of course, there is a huge range of applications for this technology, including:
- Academic (STM), education and training books, materials, journals and reports
- Commercial and self-published books
- Market research reports
- Corporate publications: Price lists, Presentations, Technical documentation sets, Marketing materials, Press releases, Product catalogs
- User and technical manuals
- Financial documents: Confidential documents, client portfolio information, annual reports etc
- Magazines, journals and newsletters
- Pre-release materials
Drumlin PDF Reader/Publisher
The Drumlin PDF Reader/Publisher program is like the Adobe Acrobat(c) PDF reader but with stronger encryption which is effectively impossible to break. And unlike a number of other products there are no insecure temporary files are used whilst handling documents. See theFeaturespage for full details and theRelease notespage for updates on the functionality of the Drumlin readers.
Drumlin is not susceptible to decryption using the free or low-cost PDF decryption software widely available on the web. It ensures that a document securely published using the Drumlin Publishing function (a DRM, DRMX, DRMZ or EXE file) can only be viewed on the specific computer and/or by the specific user that has been authorized for this document. DRMX, DRMZ and EXE files require authorization codes (which you obtain from us) in order for the files to be read and/or printed. DRM files do not require authorization codes but can still be made made user-specific if required. End users can read DRM and DRMX files using the Drumlin PDF reader software, but DRMZ files can be read on PCs, Mac computers and iPADs using our free Javelin readers. Javelin for PC and Mac can also read DRMX files (the iPAD version of Javelin cannot read DRMX format, so use of DRMZ format is recommended).
Drumlin supports secure PDF document publishing with extensive controls available to the publisher, e.g. how many times the document can be viewed, whether it can be printed, when viewing can start and when viewing is no longer permitted etc. A guide to the Reader/Publisher software is available online fromhere
TheJavelin PDF Readersare single, immediately run-able program files for Windows, Mac, Android and iPAD platforms. The Windows version of Javelin can operate as a runnable exe that includes the Javelin PDF reader PLUS your PDF document in one bundle - effectively a runnable secure document. Javelin "Click and Go" EXE files are created using the File menu|Create eXe option in the main Drumlin PDF software. It packages secure DRMX files into an executable or EXE file, so to create (or "publish") these files you need to download, install and register the Drumlin software. You then just distribute the EXE file plus an authorization code or file which will allow you customer or end user to view the resulting secure PDF. Additional variants are provided to allow the creation of exe files that require no authorization or which are simply authorized offline, without using the central DRM service. You can test out sample files here.